Recycle It!, Charlotte's residential recycling program has been improved with new recyclable items, a 96-gallon rollout recycling cart and a new collection schedule.
Recyclables are collected every- other-week on the same day as garbage and yard waste collection. To find your collection day and recycling week, visit the GeoPortal system, enter your address in the Search box, and then click on Services. If you already know your collection day and your recycling collection week (Orange or Green), you can refer to the Recycle It! Collection Calendar to stay up-to-date on your collection schedule.
The following items are accepted in the Recycle It! Program:
• Aerosol cans NEW!
• Aluminum cans
• Glass bottles/jars
• Juice boxes NEW!
• Milk and juice cartons NEW!
• Plastics 1-5 & 7 NEW!
• Spiral paper cans
• Steel/tin cans
Reminder: According to state law, plastic numbers I & 2 and aluminum should always be recycled and never discarded in the garbage.
The following items are NOT accepted in the Recycle It! Program:
• Auto parts
• Bottle caps/lids
• Light bulbs
• Mini blinds
• Paper plates/napkins
• Pizza boxes
• Plastics #6
• Plastic bags
• Plastic food trays/cups
• Shredded paper
• Wire hangers
Note: Appliances must be scheduled for bulky item collection. Batteries and light bulbs are household hazardous waste and may be taken to one of Mecklenburg County's Full-Service Recycling Centers. Electronics may also be taken to a fullservice recycling center. All other nonrecyclables listed above may be disposed of in your garbage rollout cart.
How To Prepare Recyclables For Collection:
• Rlnse and remove all food/liquid residue from recyclable items
• Remove caps/lids from bottles and containers
• Do not bag recyclables. Place recyclables loosely In the recycling cart
• Cut (not fold) cardboard into 3 feet by 3 feet sections and place it in the recycling cart
• Place the recycling cart at the curb no sooner than the day before your scheduled collection day and no later than 6:30 am on collection day.
• Place the recycling cart within 2 feet of the curb and at least 3 feet away from the garbage rollout cart, yard waste and bulky items. Make sure it's also 3 feet away from obstacles such as mailboxes, phone poles, vehicles, etc. Please do not block sidewalks with collection items.
• The recycling cart must be removed from the curb by midnight on the day of collection. A minimum $50 citation may be issued if you place the recycling cart out sooner than the day before your scheduled collection or leave it at the curb past midnight on your collection day.
Garbage is collected once a week on your scheduled collection day.
Items Accepted For Garbage Collection:
• Regular household garbage
• Old clothing
• Paper products
• Dried paint cans without lids
• Kitty litter and soiled infant diapers (double-bagged)
Items Not Accepted For Garbage Collection:
• Dead animals (Click - here for dead animal collection information)
• Empty cardboard (cut (not fold) into 3 feet x 3 feet pieces and place in the recycling ca rt)
• Recyclable materials (please place in the recycling cart)
• Yard waste
• Hot ashes
• Motor oil
• Wet paint
• Pool chemicals
• Flammable liquids
• Other hazardous materials
Items such as household furnishings, appliances, mattresses, box springs, lawn equipment and similar items too large to be placed in the garbage rollout cart and not eligible for recycling or yard waste collection are considered bulky items.
Click here for a full list of bulky items accepted for collection.
How To Schedule Bulky Items For Collection
Bulky items must be scheduled for collection. Items placed at the curb without scheduling WILL NOT be collected. You can schedule:
• By calling 311 (704.336.7600)
When you submit your request, you will receive a collection day and conflrmation number. When scheduling a bulky item collection, please have the following information available:
• Description of item to be collected
To find your collection day for all services, visit the GeoPortal system, enter your address in the Search box, and then click on Services.
How To Prepare Bulky Items For Collection:
• Please place bulky items at the curb by 6:30 am on your scheduled collection day.
• Place bulky items within 2 feet of the curb and at least 3 feet away from other collection items and obstacles such as mailboxes, phone poles, vehicles, etc. Do not block the sidewalk.
• Please do not put items curbside until the day before the scheduled collection. Items at the curb more than 24 hours before the scheduled collection could result in a fine of at least $50.
• All items must be free of food, clothing, trash, and flammable materials such as gasoline.
• Please remove doors from refrigerators and rims from tires.
Items That Will Not Be Collected
The following items will not be collected as bulky items. Please contact a private waste hauler or landfill to discuss disposal of these items:
• Any materials resulting from work performed by a commercial contractor
• Automobile parts including motors, tires on rims, doors, fenders, car seats, batteries, bumpers
• Cardboard boxes. Please cut down to 3 feet by 3 feet (or smaller) pieces and place in the recycling cart for collection